GiroPay is the official payment method for online banking in Germany, introduced in 2005. Giropay offers merchants a real-time payment method to accept internet payments. Giropay uses the same environment as their banks' online banking sites for customers. Depending on their bank, customers confirm payments on Giropay using a second factor of authentication or a PIN. The level of security depends on the participating bank. Also, Giropay requires no additional registration.
The risk of unrecognized payments is low because the customer must authenticate the payment with their bank.
How does it work?
The user selects Giropay and chooses their bank.
- The customer is redirected to their bank's login page.
- The participating bank displays transaction data.
- The consumer enters the account number or PIN.
- The bank authorizes the transaction in real-time, deducting the amount directly from the consumer's account (if there is not enough balance, the transaction will be refused).
- The merchant received real-time confirmation of the payment from the bank.
- The customer is redirected back to the merchant page with a confirmation that the payment has been successful.
If you would like to add this payment method, kindly contact your Account Manager.